One of the biggest fears in a call center interview are the seemingly random questions.
Call center applicants who ask me call it different things.
- Out of the blue questions
- Unrelated questions
- Non-business questions
- Crazy questions.
Here are some examples that I experienced personally.
- If you were a kind of car, what kind of car are you?
- How many batteries do you think there are in Metro Manila?
- If you’ll get stranded on a desert island, what food will you bring with you?
In order to explain this to you better, we will need to do a quick review on the purpose of an interview.
The purpose of an interview is to give the employer and the applicant to get to know each other.
The call center interviewer is interested in finding out:
- about you and your background
- your strengths and weaknesses
- your communication skill level
- your problem solving skill level
- your sales and convincing skill level
- whether are a good fit for the company
As a result you will get asked a lot of questions.
The key element in call center work is communication.
Good communication involves three important elements.
1. You need to get used to giving introductions
You need to get used to keeping your back straignt, taking a deep breath, smiling and telling people your name, where you’re from, why you want to work in a call center. You’ll also at one point get the opportunity to share a story, give step by step instructions, sell something, talk about how you dealt with a difficult person and so on.
2. You’ll need hold the conversation for at least ten minutes
In a call center scenario, you’ll often talk to a customer for about ten minutes. You’ll need to pay attention and listen to the question, think of a good answer and respond. When you respond, it shouldn’t be just single word answers or short sentences. You’ll need to be able to elaborate your answer, ask questions, verify that you understood the question clearly, clarify things that you don’t understand. So it is important to remember that you need to ask a lot of questions during the interview.
3. You need to know how to take care of questions that you don’t know the answer to
Call center work will put you into a situation where you are talking to a customer and you don’t know the answer to the question.
On the job, you’ll either need to double check with the operations manual, review the account, do a quick Google search, ask a supervisor what to do next or think of an answer yourself.
If you’re trying to get hired in a call center, you will be asked questions that will put you in a situation that you don’t know the answer to.
This part is simple to learn.
How to classify random call center interview questions
Some questions make a little more sense.
- Sell me this pen
- How would you sell ice to an eskimo
- How would you describe the color red to a blind person
- How many batteries are there in the Philippines
- Describe the Philippines
These questions are designed to test your sales skills, your descriptive skills and your problem solving skills.
How to Solve Problems in Call Center Inteviews
So you need to pay attention and listen to the question, then you need to acknowledge by telling them how you understand the question then you need to apply the following steps:
- What is the problem?
- What is the cause of the problem?
- What are possible solutions to the problem?
- What is the best solution to the problem?
If you genuinely apply these questions then you can solve any problem.
Some problems are complicated and require paper.
Feel free to do so.
How to answer sales related call center interview questions.
Sales is a problem solving exercise. The process to selling successfully is similar with the steps highlighted in the problem solving section.
Here’s how to answer sales related call center inteview questions.
- Who is the buyer?
- What are you selling?
- Does the buyer already have what you are selling?
- What are the advantages and benefits of what you are selling?
- Share the benefits to the buyer.
Here’s a simplified version. There are advance sales tactics but we can cover that in a later lesson.
All you need to remember is that you need to understand who the buyer is and what benefits they are looking for so you can effectively share the benefits.
How to prepare for the unknown call center interview questions.
- You need to listen to the question.
- You need to confirm that you understand the question.
- You need to tell them that you need to think of an answer to the question.
- You need to think about the possible answers to the quetion.
- You need to select the best answer to the question.
- You need to answer the question with an introduction, the answer and the conclusion.
If you were a kind of car what kind of car are you?
What do you like about cars?
Here are some factors to consder about cars:
Select a car brand that matches your personality.
I told the interviewer I’m not really a car guy but based on what people told me, I want to be a car that’s moderately expensive and delivers a good combination of speed and power so I’m thinking I’m a BMW.
That’s what I said and they told me that’s okay.
This post is still under construction. Be sure to come back for more lessons.
Do you want more of these kinds of posts? Please let me know by sending me a message. I’ll do my best to answer when I’m online.
This is not a sponsored post so if you read until the end, show your love and support. Buy our books. Make a donation to keep this site alive. Subscribe on Facebook and YouTube. When you’re done, share this with your friends.
Thank you for reading. If I can do it, you can do it. Praying for your success.