Call centers require good communication skills. English is the primary language and the best part is that your English does not have to be perfect for you to get hired because conversational level English will do.
If you’re looking for ways to learn how to improve your English, here are some of the tips I can offer to improve your communication skills faster.
1. Watch American films. The best way to imitate how they speak is to see then in action. Since you watch TV anyway, spend it trying to improve your English. Pay attention to how the characters pronounce certain words and learn from them.
2. Read books and comic books. This is where you can increase your vocabulary and grammar skills. Observe the dialogue and how things are described to get ideas.
3. Practice speaking with someone in English. This is my favorite. You get to practice with a live English speaking person. I usually go for foreigners or friends who are comfortable in speaking in English. Ask them to correct you an learn from your mistakes and you’ll learn to speak in English well in no time.
4. Start thinking in English. We all talk to ourselves. If you’re a Filipino chances are, you speak to yourself in Filipino. When you say “gutom na ako” in your head, say “I’m hungry” instead.
A reason why a lot of Filipinos I know have a hard time speaking in English is that try start with their thoughts expressed in Filipino, translate it into English, double check then speak. Sometimes we get conscious because we have to check if we spoke what we just said correctly. That’s a lot of steps before you get to say something. I propose, you do the exact opposite and have most of your thoughts in English then translate them in Tagalog if you have to.
5. Text, chat, email, Facebook, tweet or write in English. This is how we communicate most of the time so extra practice in these platforms help as well.
What are you doing to improve your conversational English skills?
Thank you for reading. Email me one thing that you learned that had an impact and what you did about it. firstname.lastname@example.org. I read each and every email.